Peterson & Myers, P.A. is an AV-rated, full-service law firm located in central Florida with approximately 25 attorneys and 50 employees. The Firm’s offices are located in Lakeland and Winter Haven, with clients located throughout the State of Florida.
The Business Development Director will lead business development initiatives and projects for the Firm’s multiple practice areas. The Business Development Director will: (1) create and lead business analysis and market research to identify viable opportunities for short-term and longer-term growth across the Firm’s practice areas; (2) work with the Firm’s attorneys to develop and coordinate business plans and sales and marketing materials; (3) support attorneys in executing on business plans and closing new engagements; (4) be primarily responsible for preparing materials included in RFPs; and (5) recommend and help implement improvements to the Firm’s business development functions.
The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of experience in professional services business development (or a marketing function within a law firm), with a degree in marketing or business required, and an advanced degree in business or marketing a plus. The candidate must have or develop an understanding of legal services and be able to communicate the value proposition of those services to existing clients, potential clients, and the general public. He or she will possess: the ability to write about legal and technical topics; advanced search, data collection, and reporting skills; advanced Excel skills and proficiency in the remaining MS Office suite software (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint); and ability to learn other legal industry software (e.g., iManage).
- Practice group support. Work with practice groups to assess business development needs. Attend practice group meetings. Develop and manage practice and industry-specific business development research and information that enable attorneys to communicate with and relate to clients and prospective clients on a regular basis.
- Individual attorney support. Meet with shareholders in the firm’s practice areas to develop and implement business plans. Monitor and support business development activities of attorneys, including identifying potential clients, developing pursuit strategies and monitoring and supporting pursuit efforts.
- Idea generation. Initiate and implement ideas to improve the Firm’s business development efforts.
- Sales material development and maintenance. Develop and continually update sales materials that highlight the attributes of the Firm and its key practices. This includes generating entirely new content as well as editing and improving existing sales content.
- Referral sources. Market to, develop, and perpetuate referral sources.
- Pitch support. Develop and prepare research, materials, teams, and message points that will maximize attorneys’ ability to win pitches. Provide input to attorneys on sales strategies. Facilitate and/or conduct post-mortems on key pitches to gather information on the Firm’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Speaking engagements. Build relationships with professional associations and trade organizations of interest to the Firm’s clients. Create opportunities for attorneys to speak at continuing education seminars, trade shows, and “Ted talks”.
- CLE Events and Trade Shows. Participate in the creation and development of marketing materials for CLE events and trade shows. Represent the firm at trade shows and other events.
- Proposals. Draft proposals and manage the RFP process, including coordinating with the Firm’s Management Committee to develop budgets and pricing proposals.
- Metrics and reporting. Develop and maintain meaningful metrics that focus business development behavior, improve the efficiency of the Firm’s business development efforts, and demonstrate the value of the Firm’s business development programs.
- Content marketing. Participate in the Firm’s marketing strategy that includes blog posts, social media, whitepapers, journal articles, and other print and media materials demonstrating the experience, expertise, capabilities, accomplishments and community activities of the Firm and its attorneys. Assist in the periodic updating of the Firm’s website.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Location/Region: Lakeland, FL (US - 33801)