The Senior Translator will provide translation services to and from the Foreign Language. The Senior Translator is also responsible for advising senior management on cultural and business nuances and usage.
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in 2020 in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who’s serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn’t take magic to put a smile on a guest’s face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal’s theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave – bringing together popular culture’s most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world’s most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Translator will provide translation services to and from the Foreign Language. The Senior Translator is also responsible for advising senior management on cultural and business nuances and usage. This role requires dealing with sensitive business related confidential and non-public plans, proposals, terms and other material, as well as interacting with the highest level of executives and dignitaries.
- Provides written translation, interpretation and editing of complex commercial agreements, corporate policies and procedures, reports and other business and technical documents as assigned and review translations performed by others.
- Performs accurate contemporaneous conversational and business meeting translations to and from Foreign Language and English at a pace concomitant with carrying out professional business meetings.
- Assists in maintaining and developing tickler/calendar systems, status reports, corporate and intellectual property records and tracking compliance obligations for international and domestic transactions, drafting, tracking and managing transaction schedules, checklists and other documents.
- Assists attorneys by reviewing boilerplate, agreements and amendments and reviewing intellectual property usage for compliance with licenses.
- Conducts cultural and technical research as required by UPR Legal.
- Provides oral interpreter/translation services at project meetings, phone conversations or teleconferences.
- Provides interpreter/translation services to assist in hiring Foreign Language-speaking associates and in Employee Relation situations to create clear communication for those involved.
- Provides basic Foreign Language and cultural initiation and introduction lessons to team members.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Non-routine; general policies applied to frequently changing situations. Influences decisions of moderate nature requiring high degree of tact.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) in designated Foreign Language, Translation or Linguistics is required.
- Master’s degree in designated Foreign Language, Translation or Linguistics preferred.
- 5-10 years of work experience as an interpreter in a multi-national organization and translation experience in major convention, symposium or forum preferred. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Recognized Interpreter or Translation Certificate (ATA – American Translators Association)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities (KSAs) required.
- Strong oral and written skills in both English and designated Foreign Language;
- An exceptionally high degree of interpretive intelligence to ensure that a very accurate and reliable level of inter-communication between languages is achieved – not only what is said but also what is meant;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Extended knowledge in entertainment business / leisure / tourism / engineering / architecture / movie / pop-culture a plus;
- Focused, efficient and ability to work under time pressure;
- Recent experience in or knowledge of life in Foreign Language Country;
- Due to much of the work involving participants in different time zones, availability and flexibility in working hours is required;
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive;
- Strong organization skills, detail oriented and ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments;
- Knowledge of various levels of Foreign Language Country business entities and/or government agencies;
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to prioritize effectively, think independently and use discretion and independent judgment and problem solving skills to ensure all deadlines are met and work is completed in an effective and timely manner;
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Consistent attendance is a job requirement.
Role requires working with others and collaborating across the organization to achieve goals.
Some international travel required.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
IT’S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2017 Universal Studios. © 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Location/Region: Orlando, FL (US)