- Serves as the primary program support assistant to the Academic Affiliations (AA) section in the Education Support Service (ESS), at the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System. Performs a full range of office and administrative functions related to the planning and operation of AA programs.
- Serves as a point of contact for students, trainees, and residents as related to the AA. Independently answers questions on administrative matters. Triages calls and walk-ins, uses sound judgment in referring matters to higher-level authority.
- Review residents’, trainees’, and students’ paperwork for completion and follow-up as necessary. Sets up and maintains files on all students, trainees, and residents.
- Works independently and effectively with other services to complete and process paperwork related to resident orientation, processing into the facility, resident timekeeping, and resident monitoring.
- Maintains VISTA New Person file, various databases, and computer based education tracking systems records with respect to students, trainees and residents.
- Screens incoming correspondence and routes to staff. Types routine reports, minutes and correspondence in appropriate format. Composes and edits letters, memos and various other documents.
- Assists the AA with maintaining the Affiliation folders in a current state at all times.
- Provides technical assistance in revising program policies. Devises tools for data collection to assist with program evaluation. Maintains resident, trainees, and students tracking database.
- Serves as an alternate Automated Data Processing Application Coordinator (ADPAC) for ESS.
- Assists as a Super-User for the computer based education tracking systems.
: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday Compressed/Flexible Schedule
: Not Available Telework
: Not Available Virtual
: This is not a virtual position. Position Description Title/PD#
: Program Support Assistant (OA)/ 10713-0 Relocation/Recruitment Incentives
: Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not Required Summary
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Bay Pines VAHCS is one of the nation’s leading VA healthcare systems, employing more than 4,000 medical professionals and support staff dedicated to providing the very best care to Veterans residing in southwest Florida. The organization is the fourth busiest VA health care system in the country in terms of patients served and is accredited by The Joint Commission, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, and several other nationally recognized accrediting organizations. The Bay Pines VAHCS operates nine facilities to include the main medical center located in Bay Pines and outpatient clinics located in Bradenton, Cape Coral, Naples, Palm Harbor, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, St. Petersburg, and Sebring. To learn more, please visit www.baypines.va.gov or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vabaypines.
Qualifications & Evaluations
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 09/28/2017.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-05 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-04. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-04 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. OR,
- Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have 4 years of education above high school OR,
- Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. For GS-5 level positions, only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
You will be evaluated on the following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
1. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
2. Working knowledge of an administrative office day to day tasks for numerous Education Programs, i.e. PMDB, ACLS, CME, etc.
3. Assist staff with retrieving and compiling data from local and national databases.
4. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and databases.
5. Ability to manage multiple priorities and respond to demands from several competing sources.
Location/Region: Bay Pines, FL (US)