Job Description As the expert the hospital trusts to talk to Emergency Care Center patients about money, this is a staff position that is important to the continued success of the department. The Financial Counselor is responsible for all up front collections on Emergency Care Center private pay and insurance accounts. The Emergency Care Center Financial Counselor will coordinate daily with the Inpatient Financial Counselor, the Insurance verification specialist, and the Medassist representative. This person will also thoroughly screen patients who are insured, under insured and or meet charity guidelines. This position also performs additional duties as requested by the Business Office Director.
Job Requirements Education: Experience:
- Applicant should have one year of collection experience, preferably in healthcare.
- Applicant should be knowledgeable in Insurance benefits/verifications, Medicaid and or six months or Emergency admitting experience.
- Applicant should have a professional appearance; demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and understand and utilize good guest relations techniques.
Essential Functions and Standards
- Must type minimum of 45 words per minute.
- Counsels patients regarding payment of their accounts.
- Assists patients by offering payment options that work both for the hospital and the patient.
- Offers payment options: Credit cards, check, cash or payment plans.
- Receives payments from patients, properly issuing receipts and depositing payments with thehospital cashier.
- Demonstrates an understanding of hospital billing and collection policies.
- Readily and accurately explains policies to patients and third party payers.
- Shows proficiency in applying investigative/analysis techniques in validating insurance information.
- Ensures timely and accurate follow up on accounts as designated by management.
- Readily identifies accounts which cannot be collected through normal billing methods and notifies the business office director.
- Obtains correct and complete information from patient/guarantor regarding both demographic and insurance information.
- Demonstrates good guest relations techniques with all patients, visitors and co-workers.
- Is cross trained to perform the duties of Inpatient Financial Counselor and Emergency Care Center registration staff. Is cross trained to perform the duties of either ER Registration, OP Registration, or Admitting.
- Understands and works to meet the goals and objectives outlined for each department.